Monday, May 26, 2008

First Fly Sparge vs Efficiency

So I worked through my first fly sparge yesterday. All-in-all, everything went very smooth and I am going to enjoy brewing using this method. No more carrying pots of hot water from the stove out to the porch.

But back to the fly sparge. I was able to keep my in and out flow rates matched pretty well. The water level in the MLT stayed between 1-2 inches above the grain bed. I ran the sparge for approximately 35-40 minutes, collecting 7.5 gallons in the boil kettle (for a 5.5 gallon batch). My problem is that I still didn't hit over 70% efficiency (same as my batch sparge efficiency). I've tried everything I know and I can't get that jump to a higher efficiency. I am beginning to think that the crush from my LHBS might be on the course side. So I will be looking to purchase a mill as my next toy.

I'm going to stick with the fly sparge method because I do like it better. I only have to vorlauf once, set my sparge and run-off flow rates, and sit back and relax. If anyone has any ideas how to improve my efficiency, please chime in.

UPDATE 6/1/08:
Second roound of fly sparging improve by 5%-6%. I sparged a bit slower, a bit hotter, and may have collected an extra quart by the time it was all said and done. I hit slightly over 75%, which is a good improvement and the best efficiency I've gotten on my system yet.

No comments: